Gout is a type of arthritis that affects approximately 9.2 million people in the US. This condition can cause intense swelling and inflammation of the joints. Fortunately, gout can be managed with the right medication and a gout-friendly diet!
What is Gout?
Gout is a type of arthritis that affects millions of people. Anyone can develop gout, however, it often occurs after menopause in women and occurs earlier in men because they generally have higher levels of uric acid in their blood. Gout can be described as unexpected and intense bouts of pain and swelling in joints. Commonly, the big toe is affected, and people may notice redness and tenderness. Gout develops when there is a build-up of uric acid in the blood, which then creates crystals of uric acid that accumulate in your joints. Uric acid is produced by the body during digestion and is discarded as waste.
What is The Gout Diet?
While professional help and medication are needed to treat gout, a gout-friendly diet may help decrease uric acid levels in the blood and reduce some of these unwanted symptoms. People with gout who follow the guidelines of this diet may experience a reduction in pain and lower levels of uric acid in their blood.
What Foods Can You Eat?
Foods To Avoid
- Red Meat
- Organ Meats
Gout-Diet Approved Recipes
White Bean and Pea Salad With Spring Herb Pistou
Pistou is much like pesto but without nuts and/or cheese. It’s made from basil, olive oil, and garlic and is often served on top of soup. Although the pistou here is not pistou by French standards since it’s made with parsley, mint, dill, and garlic scapes instead of basil, it is delicious nonetheless. This White Bean and Pea Salad With Spring Herb Pistou by Jodi Kay makes a lovely light lunch or late dinner with a few slices of your favorite sourdough toast and lots of good olive oil. It would also be nice with some cooked earthy grains like spelt berries or farro and a sprinkle of vegan feta or Parmesan.
One Pot Lentil Stew
Source: One Pot Lentil Stew
4 Ingredient Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
Smoothies are a go-to in the summer months when you want something cool and refreshing but loaded with all the good stuff. This 4 Ingredient Blueberry Smoothie Bowl by Robin Browne checks all those boxes. It is the perfect consistency on its own or topped with your favorite fruit and granola.
Beans and Rice
Source: Beans and Rice
If you’re looking for a simple and veggie-filled meal, try out this recipe for Beans and Rice! Unlike other recipes, this one by Nita Ragoonanan includes a variety of vegetables, and feel free to add the ones you like!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!